Behind the scenes with FileVault
Luckily for us, the general conclusion is that FileVault is a good way to secure your drive, if used correctly. FileVault does not encrypt the contents of system memory by default in Tiger (It doesn't do it at all in Panther) and it does not, by design, encrypt anything outside of a user's home directory.
There are a few possible attack vectors, but the easiest seems to be a good old brute force Dictionary attack on the 'Master Password' that you must set when enabling FileVault. Remember, if your password is weak all the encryption in the world won't help you.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app