Safari 5.0.3 update adds "more accurate" results in Safari's address field, Flash fix, more
Safari 5.03 is available via Software Update on your Mac, or Apple Software Update on your PC. Apple lists the following new and changed items:
This update contains improvements to usability, compatibility, stability, accessibility and security, including the following:
- More accurate Top Hit results in the Address Field
- More accurate results in Top Sites
- Fixes an issue that could cause content delivered with the Flash 10.1 plug-in to overlap webpage content
- More reliable pop-up blocking
- Improved stability when typing into search and text input fields on www.netflix.com and www.facebook.com
- Improved stability when using VoiceOver with Safari
This update (like all Safari updates) does require a reboot as the OS X Webkit framework is being upgraded, not just Safari as an application. Safari 4.1.3 is also available for Tiger. You can also check out the security updates included here.
UPDATE: Holy wow, Apple seems to have fixed the nasty address field behavior I wrote about some weeks back. Details with side-by-side comparison on the next page.
I sync my Safari browser using MobileMe. On Machine A I'm running Safari 5.0.2. On Machine B, 5.0.3. Below you can see the better results delivered in Top Hit. Specifically, Top Hit now prefers your bookmarks to the words in headlines on web pages. A simple shift, but an important one for people who use their browser daily and know how to save bookmarks.
and here's the behavior in 5.0.3, giving me the more logical suggestion based on what I have bookmarked:
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration