HAND Stylus jumps from Kickstarter to your iOS device
While the bloggers here at TUAW are of varied opinions about whether or not one should use a stylus with a touchscreen, we love to see the products that innovative manufacturers come up with. A recent Kickstarter project that is now 514 percent funded and in production, the HAND Stylus (US$25) comes from a Bay Area designer who was unhappy with the many styluses already on the market. Read on for a review, video, and a chance to win a HAND Stylus.
Designer Steve King uses many mechanical pencils and pens in his daily work, and wanted a stylus that mimicked the weight and feel of one of those pricey writing tools. The HAND Stylus is a beautifully-balanced six-sided metal stylus that feels perfect in your hand. It's not fat and stubby like some styluses, nor short and too lightweight like others.
The HAND Stylus comes in a rainbow of colors, and the point where you grip the stylus is nicely knurled so you can keep a nice grip on it. There's a stainless steel pocket clip on the HAND that keeps the stylus close by whether you put it into a pocket or attach it magnetically to an iPad 2 or third-generation iPad. The stylus also makes a wonderful gift, as it comes in a metal gift box that is very classy.
One feature I really like about the HAND after using a competing stylus for a while is that the tip is retractable. The tip of my other stylus has been a magnet for dust and gooey food residue, while I can retract the tip of the HAND when I'm done using it to keep it clean. That tip also rotates with each click of the retract button, ensuring that the tip wears evenly. The tip, by the way, is only 4 mm across and allows for fine control while drawing, writing, or selecting tiny buttons on your iPhone.
I expect that I'm going to have to apologize to the manufacturer of the stylus I used up until now, because from now on I'm going to be using a HAND Stylus. Two lucky TUAW readers are going to win a HAND Stylus and here are the rules:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before May 27, 2012 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected and each will receive a HAND Stylus valued at US$25.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature