TUAW Year in Review: August 2012
Welcome to TUAW's Year in Review. Month by month, we're running down the top stories of 2012, all day long on New Year's Day.
Jury finds Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's patents, awards Apple $1.05 billion in damages (updated)
A California jury has found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's patents, resulting in damages totaling more than $1.05 billion to be awarded to Apple. The verdict is broken down as...
Twenty-five years ago today, HyperCard was released at Macworld Expo Boston. Apple's software construction kit for the rest of us began shipping on every new Mac as of August 11, 1987; you could...
The jury handed down its decision today in the case between Apple and Samsung in the US. It was a big win for Apple and a sweeping loss for Samsung, which will have to pay nearly $1.05 billion in...
Sitting through a patent trial day after day is a tough assignment for AllThingsD's Ina Fried, as today's technical testimony led the judge to inquire of the jury if anyone needed caffeine. But...
For those of us who stayed up late last night to watch the streaming coverage of the Curiosity rover's landing on Mars, it was a treat to see the huge numbers of MacBooks, iPads, and even iPhones...
- Apple Stores matching iPhone discounts from retailers and carriers
- Top gaming platform of all time? It might be iOS
- Google to challenge Siri with its updated Google search app
- Apple rolls out new "All on iPad" ad
- The New Yorker now available on iPhone
- Mat Honan details the Amazon and Apple security flaws that let hackers wipe his MacBook
- Rumor: Apple to add smaller Dock connector to all iOS devices this fall
- Twitter's API plans cause trouble for iOS devs, but they're sticking with it
- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion gripe list
- Steve Jobs' stolen iPad used by street performer
- TIME: How your phone is changing the world
- Apple retail chiefs refute layoffs, address employees
- Apple's toughest nut yet: Cable operators
- Microsoft has no plans for Retina display Office apps (updated)
- Are we getting a clearer picture of the iPad mini?
- Are Retina MacBooks displaying screen issues?
- Palo Alto home of late Steve Jobs burglarized
- Google, PayPal, VeriFone and US carriers form Mobile Payments Committee without Apple, Square
- Report: Freeverse co-founders leave the company
- One year of Tim Cook as CEO of Apple
- OnLive sells company, lays off about 50% of staff
- Would you check your iPhone at the door of a restaurant for a discount?
- How apps are helping small business save money
- Apple adds form to report intellectual property infringement on the App Store
- Grandma plus iPad equals artistic expression
- A home office that looks like a mini Apple Store
- Mac 101: Use Image Capture to clear off old iPhone pictures
- How to be an Apple Genius: A look inside the manual
- US Federal Aviation Administration to re-examine in-flight electronics use
- Google reacts to Apple vs. Samsung decision
- Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter now definitely available
- Verizon Wireless sales staff allegedly dissing the iPhone
- David Pogue's iPhone lost, searched for, found, world safe for kittens
- Opening statements delivered in Apple vs. Samsung trial
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs