Apple settles Retina artwork lawsuit with Swiss artist
Apple has settled a lawsuit with Swiss photographer Sabine Liewald over the illegal use of his piece titled "Eye Closeup," according to CNET. The company and Liewald originally had an agreement in place to use the image, but Liewald maintained in a court filing that the only permission she gave Apple regarding the photograph was to use it for "layout purposes only." Liewald said Apple misused the rights to the image when it appeared on stage at the MacBook Pro's unveiling and in marketing material -- both of which fall under commercial use.
The suit was filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York in October 2012 and as of last Wednesday was dismissed, according to recently released court documents. The reason for dismissal was because of a settlement between the parties. Terms of the settlement were not released.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options