Microsoft does a stealth price increase of Office for Mac
That makes Office for Mac 2011 the same price as Office 2013 for Windows. It comes about as Microsoft pushes for its cloud-based Office 365, a subscription-based plan.
A single license for Office for Mac Home and Student is now US$140, up 17 percent from the old $120 price. Office for Mac Home & Business was hiked 10 percent to $220.
We confirmed the new prices at the Microsoft online store and at the Apple online store. Some online retailers, such as Amazon, are still showing the lower prices, so you might want to grab a copy from those retailers before the price hike kicks in.
The prices might cause some people to shift to Apple's iWork, but that suite of applications hasn't been updated beyond bug fixes since January 2009.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync