Findables: iPhone cases with an identity
There's something new in the crowded iPhone case market: cases with an identity. Findables has a line of iPhone cases that include a small, unique QR code that can be tied -- through a free iPhone app -- to your social network accounts. That same code can even help others return a lost iPhone to you. Let's take a look at the Findables FlexWrap (US$29.95) and FlexStand ($29.95) cases, and then you can have a chance to win one courtesy of Findables and TUAW.
Both the FlexWrap and FlexStand cases look like run-of-the-mill iPhone cases, crafted out of the usual polycarbonate material in multiple colors. The FlexWrap is a protective shell, while the FlexStand has a fold out stand to make watching videos a breeze. But as I noted earlier, the big selling point for both of these products is the tiny QR code on back of the case.
When you get one of the Findables cases, you download the free app from the App Store and then use it to scan the QR code and create a Findables profile. That profile can contain links to a number of social networks, including Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google+ and more.
Now when you meet someone and they just happen to have a QR code reader app on their device (standard for Android, not so much in the iOS world), scanning that little code on the back of your iPhone case sends them to your Findables profile. From there, they can link to you on all of those social networks, so it's akin to a QR code business card.
The Findables app also gives iPhone users a way to read QR codes if they don't currently have an app that will read them. Of course, a quick glance at the App Store reveals a number of other QR-friendly apps that your friends can download to read your Findables case.
Findables also touts the cases as being useful for returning a lost iPhone to you, although I frankly can't see how it would be any more useful than Find My iPhone.
Findables has produced an iPhone case with an interesting twist; tying a personal profile to a QR code imprinted on the case. The cases are reasonably priced and should do a good job of protecting your iPhone investment.
- QR code provides a link to a personal profile; show someone your case and let them scan it to get information about you.
- Reasonably priced and well made.
- Findables FlexStand has a very usable flip-out stand design that's great for watching video without holding your device.
- New friends and business associates will need to have a QR code-reading app installed on their device to be able to access your information.
Who is it for?
- Anyone who would like an inexpensive iPhone 5 case that provides a relatively simple way for others to find out more about you through a web-based profile.
- TUAW and Findables have two cases to give away. One's a FlexWrap, while the other is a FlexStand. Both cases work with the iPhone 5 or 5s.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before October 20, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected. One will receive a Findables FlexWrap case (black) valued at $29.95, while the other receives a Findables FlexStand (blue with orange highlights) valued at $29.95
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration