Griffin wants to dress your iPhone 5/5s in Harris Tweed
Harris Tweed is a beautiful, durable and warm handwoven cloth that has been handwoven by islanders in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland for centuries. Now Griffin Technology brings you officially licensed Harris Tweed cases for the iPhone 5 and 5s.
There are two options for these totally fashionable cases: a traditional Harris Tweed Case (US$39.99) and the Harris Tweed Wallet for $59.99. By saying that the case is traditional, I'm saying that it's a pretty normal iPhone case made out of sturdy and protective polycarbonate. Added to the back is a layer of that beautiful Harris Tweed fabric in either a black or brown color. Our review case used the black herringbone material, and it adds a surprising amount of class to what would be a rather boring case. The tweed adds a nice soft, yet grippable backing to the case to keep it from sliding out of your hand.
The Harris Tweed Wallet is truly classy, featuring a leather bifold wallet with either a black or brown Harris Tweed herringbone fabric on the front and around the spine. Our review case used the brown fabric, and I was amazed and amused to find that it perfectly matched the color and pattern of a Harris Tweed jacket I purchased 30 years ago. The wallet has three card slots (I was able to fit six IDs or credit cards into the slots during testing), as well as a large and easily opened cash slot. A nicely crafted leather bezel holds the iPhone in place, but allows for easy removal of the phone for attaching an Olloclip lens, for example.
Both products are extremely well made, and it's surprising that they're as inexpensive as they are. For the fashionable tweed-lover on your holiday gift list, the Griffin Technology Harris Tweed Case or Wallet for iPhone 5/5s would be a very welcome gift.
We're going to give away a case or wallet to two TUAW readers. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before December 18, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected. One will receive a Griffin Harris Tweed Case (black herringbone) valued at $39.99, while the other will receive a Griffin Harris Tweed Wallet (brown herringbone) valued at $59.99.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter