Morning news roundup for December 23, 2013
Here's a look at what's going on in the Apple world as of this morning, December 23. A new Mac Pro, an iffy iOS jailbreak and a doomed Opel Corsa are just a few highlights. Let's begin, shall we?
- fcp.co spends 24 hours with Apple's Mac Pro and Final Cut Pro 10.1. The notably quiet Mac Pro (the sound of an air conditioner drowns it out) feels "silky smooth" while editing 4K with Final Cut Pro 10.1. Just watch. Also note that there's no security slot in the Mac Pro, which is odd for such a small machine that could easily fit into a backpack.
- Tim Cook has sent an email to Apple's employees, thanking them for the work the company completed in 2013. The best bit for us customers comes at the end:
"We have a lot to look forward to in 2014, including some big plans that we think customers are going to love."
- There's an untethered jailbreak for iOS 7, but it's not without problems. Cydia creator Jay Freeman noted the included version of Cydia is unofficial and untested. Also, this release included a Chinese App Store called Taig (only installed if the phone's default language is Chinese). Unfortunately, it was found to include pirated apps. The Evasi0n team responded quickly with a statement:
"We are very upset that despite our agreement and review by their team, piracy was found in the store. It was not acceptable and they have been strenuously working to resolve the problem in good faith, and have removed all instances of it that we have brought to their attention."
- Meanwhile, in Berlin, some thieves tested the airbag deployment of an Opel Corsa by ramming it into a window of the Kurfürstendamm Apple Store. They got away with some display iPhones, iPads and Macs before fleeing the scene in two Audis (the poor Corsa was going nowhere). The poorly timed attack means that store is badly damaged just as the holiday shopping season wraps up.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features