Daily news roundup for January 7, 2014
Good morning! Welcome to the morning news roundup for January 7, 2014.
- Pebble introduces the Steel watch. Can't wait for the rumored iWatch? Pebble has got you covered with their new watch that won't look anything like Apple's.
- Broadcom SDK eases Apple AirPlay implementation. Chipmaker Broadcom has introduced a new software development kit that makes it easier for manufacturers to add Apple's AirPlay audio wireless streaming support to products.
- The BBC iPlayer is now more popular on tablets than on any other platform. The BBC has announced that viewing of its iPlayer streaming service on tablets like the iPad has overtaken PCs for the first time ever. It's another sign that we are in Steve Jobs' post-PC era.
- Apple to announce its quarterly earning on January 27. Apple will announce its all-important holiday earnings on January 27 at 2:00 PM PT / 5:00 PM ET. As usual, iPhone and iPad sales are the things investors will care about most, but so are forward-looking statements.
- Apple's 'Red Friday' Lunar New Year sale coming up on January 10 in Asia. Apple will be taking part in its annual 'Red Friday' Lunar New Year sale this Friday, January 10. Red Friday in Asia is similar to Black Friday in America. No word yet on Apple's deals, but if you live in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan or Thailand, you'll find out soon enough.
- Man sues Apple for a pattern of discriminatory behavior. A Mr. Terel Gray (or "Terrel Gray") has sued Apple over what he claims to be a pattern of discriminatory behavior at its retail stores. This is a very odd story -- the filing itself is full of typos and grammatical errors, and even spells Mr. Gray's name two different ways.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV