Evening news roundup for January 8, 2014
Good evening! Here's the Apple news for Jan. 8, 2014:
- T-Mobile is upending the status quo for cellphone service in the US again by offering to pay the early termination fees for those under contract with AT&T, Verizon or Sprint if they switch to a T-Mobile contract. The offer is up to $650 per line for up to five lines, broken down to a $350 stipend for ETF and a $300 phone credit. Those who take advantage of the offer will get a prepaid MasterCard with the ETF amount.
- Hog Bay Software's Jesse Grosjean has decided to release the source code for TaskPaper for iOS after stating he no longer has time to work on the product.
- Spotify's free music offering finally makes the leap to iOS. On the iPhone, users are limited to just shuffle mode, but iPad users can use the free music the same as they can on the desktop client.
- All Planet Studios, the Computer History Museum and Macworld/iWorld will throw a 30th anniversary bash for the debut of the original Macintosh on Jan. 25. The iconic, groundbreaking machine arrived on the scene on Jan. 24, 1984.
- Electronista reports that US Staples stores are now carrying iPads. The office supplies chain has had them in Canada for nearly two years and on its US website since October.
- Tekserve has hired a new CEO. Jerry Gepner started in his new position Monday and most recently was divisional CEO for the Services Division at the Vitec Group. Gepner also once was the executive vice president at Fox Sports and was co-founder of Sportvision.
Kick back and relax with some of these features:
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update