Spotify for iOS gets free to listen shuffle options
Since its debut, Spotify's free offerings have mostly been targeted toward desktop users, leaving nonpaying cellphone fans stuck at the bus station with nothing to listen to other than Pandora, iTunes Radio or any of the myriad of other streaming services. Today Spotify has released their previously announced free mobile streaming option for iOS users, and if you enjoy mix tapes of your favorite artists, it's wonderful news.
Spotify's free streaming option allows you to listen to any artist or playlist that you want. However, it only plays in shuffle mode. Meaning if you want to listen to Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" on your iPhone at the bus stop, you'll have to go to the Boss's channel and spin the roulette wheel to see what comes up first. For newer artists with limited discographies, this isn't a big deal. Drake only has three albums; Bruce has 18, making for a slightly more intense "shuffling" experience.
Still, as the popularity of services like Pandora and iTunes Radio have shown, many internet users are perfectly content just listening to well-crafted mixes of the music they like. There's good news though for that plucky user searching for the one song they really want to hear. The service still allows you to skip forward from song to song. Just keep pressing on and you'll be dancing in the dark in no time.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter