Morning news roundup for January 9, 2014
Morning everyone! It's a happy day for most Americans as today is the day that sees the polar vortex beginning to leave the country. Average temps will heat up by 10 degrees. Here's your morning news roundup for January 9 to go with the thaw.
- The timing of Apple's next earning calls has upset many AAPL investors. Apple's earnings call is scheduled for January 27th, four days later than anticipated, leaving options traders taking heavy loses.
- The Xbox Music for iPhone app now allows for offline listening. One of the biggest complaints about Microsoft's Xbox Music app, released for the iPhone in September, was it didn't support offline listening. Microsoft has fixed that with the newest update.
- Yahoo busted for having employees write App Store reviews of its own apps. BuzzFeed has called Yahoo out for seemingly having its employees review its own apps in the App Store. As evidence, they point to the large percentage of positive reviews that appeared immediately after the launch of Yahoo's new Yahoo News Digest app.
- The 32-mile long underground Channel Tunnel that runs between England and France will get 3G and LTE service for UK travelers. This is great news for UK-based iPhone owners as previously they would need to subscribe to a French telecom to use their iPhone in the Chunnel.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter