DannyP iPhone 5 wallets offer full functionality, great looks
Designer Daniel Piterak (aka DannyP) has created a line of US$129 iPhone wallets that really turn the traditional model -- "let's take an iPhone case and jam a wallet onto it" -- on its head. Instead, the DannyP wallets are designed as wallets first, with an iPhone case then worked into the design. Let's see how it works, and then you'll have a chance to win one of these beautiful -- and functional -- wallets courtesy of DannyP and TUAW.
DannyP provides two different styles in two leather colors: black and cognac. As you'd imagine, the cognac is a rich, gold leather that has to be seen to be appreciated. The styles are slightly different as well -- there is a wallet and a pocketbook. The difference between those two styles is in how the iPhone 5/5s sits in its pocket on the side of the wallet (see below).
Our review wallet was one of the pocketbooks in the cognac finish, and it's simply beautiful and classy. The wallet is not an afterthought as it is on so many wallet cases we've reviewed. Instead, it has capacity for plenty of folding cash, space for eight credit/ID cards, plus additional slots under the cards for even more cards or whatever else you'd like to take with you. The leather used for the card slots is a dark blue that matches the stitching on the wallet.
Rather than a plastic or wood case holding your iPhone 5/5s, the DannyP wallets provide a roomy pocket. Sure, you have to remove your phone from the pocket if it rings or you want to use it, but with most current iPhone wallets, you have to move a cover out of the way to be able to answer the phone. The iPhone pocket is lined with velour to keep your baby scratch-free.
Finally, the stitching and leather work on the DannyP products is done in a workshop in the Czech Republic, and it's obvious that he found a top-notch manufacturer. This is classy stuff!
This is one of the most functional iPhone wallets I've ever used, and it is obvious that DannyP's decision to make this a wallet first and foremost was a smart one. In all of the other iPhone wallets I've tried, the wallet functionality seemed like an afterthought -- here, I would have no problems transferring the contents of my rather Costanza-like wallet to the DannyP wallet.
How's the iPhone pocket? Perfectly designed. It's tight enough that your iPhone 5s isn't going to go skittering out on the floor as you move the wallet out of your pocket or purse, but slick enough that the phone slides out easily when you need to make a call or get counseling from Siri.
It's a bit expensive at $129, but as I'm fond of saying, "you get what you pay for." If you want a real, functional wallet that also just happens to have a pocket for your iPhone, the DannyP wallets or pocketbooks for iPhone are worth a close look.
Rating: 4 stars out of 4 stars possible
There's going to be one TUAW reader just drippin' with class after this giveaway of a DannyP Pocket Book Leather Wallet for iPhone 5/5s in that beautiful cognac finish.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before January 18, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a DannyP Pocket Book Leather Wallet for iPhone 5/5s valued at $129
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)