Dedicated app will stream every episode of The Simpsons, and more news for January 16, 2014
Fans of The Simpsons will be happy to hear they'll soon be able to download an app which will allow them to legally stream all 24 seasons of the show for free. The app will be coming courtesy of the FX network, whose sister site FXX got the exclusive on-demand rights to The Simpsons in a deal worth almost US$1 billion last year. This is huge news for Simpsons fans as there is currently no legal way to stream the series online or via an app. But the app won't be free for everyone. In order to stream The Simpsons through the new app you'll need an FXNOW account, which only about half of US cable providers offer.
In more news for the morning of January 16, 2014:
- Refurbished Late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pros are now for sale in Apple's online store. Customers can save between $200-270 depending on which model they buy.
- Baldur's Gate II is now available for download in the App Store. The game is one of the most popular RPGs of all time. Features of the game include the final chapter of the Bhaalspawn saga, easy multiplayer gaming and The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay saga. Baldur's Gate II is $14.99.
- Apple has released a small update to the WWDC app. Version 1.0.3 addresses an issue where developers were unable to log in to watch videos from the 2013 WWDC. WWDC is a free download.
- The US Patent and Trademark Office has published an Apple patent application for a "Method to send payment data through various air interfaces without compromising user data" -- essentially a patent that details a backend strategy for enabling contactless payment systems for mobile devices. Does this mean an iWallet is coming soon? Who knows. Apple has thousands of patents for products and tech that never see the light of day.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature