Booq Boa shift backpack: Sleek and roomy MacBook companion
If you've been looking for a way to carry that 15-inch MacBook Pro of yours hands-free, then you're reading the right accessory review. Booq's Boa shift backpack (US$150) is an modern-looking, sleek bag that provides a huge amount of room for your MBP and accessories.
- Designed for 13-inch MacBook Air,13- and 15-inch MacBook Pro
- Exterior Dimensions: 13.5 x 18 x 8 inches (343 x 457 x 203 mm)
- Weight: 3 lbs. (1.4 kg)
- Materials: Herringbone nylon lining, 1680 Denier nylon exterior
- Equipped with Terralinq Lost and Found Serial Number
The Boa shift is surprisingly futuristic looking, but it's not the good looks that are the big feature here. It has two side quick-access pockets for things like plane tickets, phones and pens; a top-front zipper pocket for storing things you want to have fast access to; and two elastic pockets on the shoulder straps for phones or MP3 players.
On the inside, you'll find a really large main zippered compartment that's perfect for documents, power adaptors, external mice and other accessories. There's also a document slip pocket, five lining slip pockets, a large mesh pocket, four pen slots and a heavily padded laptop compartment with a separate zipper.
Booq made sure that the lining is made of soft Nylex to avoid scratching your gear, added an air-mesh back padding so your back doesn't sweat while you're carrying the Boa shift and then added water-repellent coatings to both the exterior nylon and interior lining.
I loaded the Boa shift with my 15-inch MacBook Pro (Retina display, naturally) and a pile of accessories, and I found I still had room to spare. I love the fact that the MBP was sitting in its own nicely padded pouch, and that, if I wanted to remove just the laptop, I didn't have to worry about it getting scratched by other "stuff."
It's the main pocket of the Boa shift that's amazing. It has a huge amount of room available for everything you might want to carry on a daily commute. What's really nice is the fact that the backpack is designed in such a way that it is "stiff," making it easy to load and unload without the bag collapsing onto whatever you're trying to dig out or put in. I'm a huge fan of backpacks (don't judge me, but I own three different ones for various purposes), but the ones that I currently own drive me bonkers when I'm trying to find stuff and they're collapsing.
One other feature of this bag that's worth mentioning is the Terralinq Lost and Found Serial Number. If you ever lose the bag, someone can use that number to return the bag to you. That's a feature that only Booq provides, as far as I know.
Finally, the construction of Booq bags is unparalleled in the business. They really make durable products, and the Boa shift is no exception. Sure, you could be like me and buy a cheaper backpack, but your $150 investment in the Boa shift will last a lot longer.
For laptop users who are looking for a backpack that's tops in functionality, capacity and looks, the Boa shift backpack is definitely worth putting at the top of your list. It will last for years, protects your MacBook with thick padding and has style to spare.
Rating: 4 out of 4 stars possible
You've seen the bag; now win it! Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before January 27, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Booq Boa shift (Graphite) backpack valued at $150
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync