How to improve the reliability of Touch ID with this simple trick
If you are having a problem with Touch ID recognizing your fingerprint, here is a simple trick for iPhone 5s owners that'll improve its reliability. According to reader Mike Sierra, you can significantly improve Touch ID by scanning the same finger and storing it five times on your device.
You can enter a new fingerprint scan by following the written directions below or by watching the video directions here. Just rinse and repeat five times to get the best performance.
- Ensure that the Home button and your finger are clean and dry.
- Hold the iPhone as you normally would when touching the Home button.
- Touch your finger to the Home button lightly (don't press to click it) and hold it there until you feel a short vibration or until you are asked to lift your finger.
- Continue to touch and lift your finger slowly, making small adjustments to the position of your finger each time.
- Once the initial scanning is complete, you'll be asked to adjust your grip to capture the edges of your fingerprint.
- Hold the phone as you normally would when unlocking it and touch the adjacent outer areas of your fingertip, instead of the center portion you initially scanned.
- The fingerprint will be saved when the scan is complete
Note that the five fingerprint scans will use up all available slots for fingerprints in iOS 7, but you likely will capture every nook and cranny of the finger you are scanning. We've tested this trick and it seems to be working with as few as two saved scans. Test it out and let us know what you think in the comments.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync