Obama recognizes Apple during State of the Union and other news from Jan. 28, 2014
While Tim Cook was not a guest at this year's State of the Union address, President Barack Obama did single out Apple -- alongside Microsoft, Sprint and Verizon -- for helping to launch an initiative to get high-speed broadband services to nearly every student in the country.
"We've got a down payment to start connecting more than 15,000 schools and 20 million students over the next two years, without adding a dime to the deficit," Obama boasted.
Meanwhile, the Washington Post took a tongue-in-cheek look at the annual address, wondering what it would be like if it was approached the same way that Apple approaches its signature keynotes.
Other news from Tuesday afternoon includes:
- Those perusing their Apple TVs will notice that a Red Bull channel has been added to the mix.
- Angry Birds developer Rovio has joined the list of people claiming that it did not collaborate with the National Security Agency to share private data.
- An Apple Store employee takes you behind the scenes of working for the retail behemoth, and his latest column focuses on Apple believers.
- Google is bringing its Chrome apps to iOS through Apache Cordova.
- Not only are iBeacons coming to a store near you, but they are also headed to a couple of theme parks.
Kick back and relax with these features:
- Tim Cook: Innovation is alive and well at Apple, 'deeply embedded in everybody here.'
- Flappy Bird is the cheapest digital drug on the App Store
- Tim Cook: Mobile payments was 'one of the thoughts behind Touch ID'
- Password security at Apple.com is a level above the rest
- Why Dark Sky 'sold out' with a full-featured weather app, and why it's not charging for the upgrade
While Tim Cook was not a guest at this year's State of the Union address, President Barack Obama did single out Apple -- alongside...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free