Here's how to download Facebook Paper even if you don't live in the US
Last week we told you about Paper, Facebook's standalone newsreader/storytelling app. Today Paper launched as an iOS-exclusive app. But beyond being iOS-exclusive, the app is also apparently US-exclusive. Our sister site TechCrunch has offered up a handy workaround that will allow you to download the app if you're locked out based on something as silly as where you live.
This trick only works because it's a free app, so keep your eye on the prize and don't go trying to download paid apps that aren't available in your country.
- Go to the App Store.
- Go to "Apple ID:"
- Log in with your password as you normally would.
- Once you've logged in, go to your settings, find "country," then "change country or region" and change your country to "United States."
- Click "none" when it asks you for payment information.
- Search for Paper, download it, then change your country back to wherever you're from. Voila! You've got Paper, at least until Facebook updates the app with a region lock.
We'll have a review of Paper up soon. In the meantime, let us know what you think of the app in the comments below once you've gotten a chance to give it a spin.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs