Apple publishes awkward workaround for OS X Mail issues plaguing users, and other news for Feb. 4, 2014
Apple has published a rather awkward workaround for users who are experiencing Mail troubles in OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Many users have reported trouble with Mail since 10.9 shipped, like misbehaving Gmail accounts, issues with moving and deleting messages and retrieving new messages.
The last issue -- being unable to receive new messages -- is particularly annoying as those affected must force-quit the app and then relaunch it to check for new Mail. Now, Apple says those users can simply take the following steps to get new mail:
OS X: New email messages not received until Mail is quit and reopened
For some email providers, new email messages in Mail may only appear to arrive when Mail is first opened. No new email arrives until Mail is quit and reopened.
Quitting and reopening Mail forces it to re-establish a connection to the email server. You can use these steps to receive new mail messages without quitting Mail:
- Choose Mailbox > Take All Accounts Offline.
- Choose Mailbox > Get All New Mail.
As a shortcut, you can also add the Take All Accounts Offline and Get Mail buttons to your Mail toolbar.
- Choose View > Customize Toolbar.
- Drag the Take All Accounts Offline button to the Toolbar if it is not there already.
- Drag the Get Mail button to the Toolbar if it is not there already.
- Click Done
To receive new mail messages, click the Take Offline button, then click the Check Mail button.
Beside the cumbersome steps above, there's no further word on Mail's widespread problems. Hopefully Apple will sort this all out when OS X 10.9.2 is released.
In other news:
- Google Maps has been updated for iOS. The new version allows users to get notified when a faster route becomes available in navigation mode. It also includes your usual bug fixes.
- World Wrestling Entertainment has announced that the company's WWE Network will be launching on the Apple TV on February 24th. The news came when a WWE employee answered a fan's question on Facebook as to whether the WWE will come to the Apple TV, who confirmed that it will. That Facebook answer has since been removed.
- Tim Cook has met with the Turkish president today, according to meeting notes on the president's public calendar. There's no word what the meeting will be about, but many speculate Turkey's US$4.5 billion tablet education initiative will be discussed. With it, Turkey plans to give up to 15 million tablets to school children.
Apple has published a rather awkward workaround for users who are experiencing Mail troubles in OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Many users have...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free