Apple offers solution to Airplay mirroring issue and other news for Feb. 5, 2014
Apple has acknowledged that if you have a Late 2013 MacBook Pro or Mac Pro and have a slow Wi-Fi connection, there might be an Airplay mirroring issue. A newly released support document details how to get around the Airplay mirroring issue, which involves turning off the Bluetooth connection.
Other news from this afternoon included:
- We love patent trolls. In that we really don't. Our latest exploitation comes to us IPCom, a German-based company that wants Apple to pony up more than $2 billion in a reported patent violation. Apple had challenged IPCom's lawsuit, but the European Patent Office said that a narrow version of it was valid, according to The Verge.
- Speaking of patent trolls, Apple and Google have joined forces in the US to fight against them. They, along with 13 other companies, hope that the Supreme Court will address these sorts of lawsuits and make it easier to recoup fees lost when taking on the patent trolls.
- 37signals is dropping all software except for Basecamp and is renaming itself to just Basecamp. It leaves the fate of other products such as Highrise and Campfire in the air, as well as supporting apps that rely on their APIs.
- Apple went before the US Court of Appeals on Tuesday to once against oppose antitrust monitor Michael Bromwich.
- Former Sony president Kunitake Ando told a Japanese journalist that Steve Jobs flew to Hawaii to with a pitch for Sony to sell Mac-compatible VAIO laptops. Although Jobs shuttered the Mac licensing program when he returned to the company, in 2001, it seemed he was willing to take a chance with Sony. But the VAIO team opposed it, putting an end to that deal.
Kick back and relax with some of these features:
- With one day to go, the official NBC Olympics app is a bit of a mess
- Every Apple reference ever made in Futurama and The Simpsons
- Poke: The Facebook app that never really had a chance
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter