Apple releases a Beatles channel for the Apple TV, and other news from Feb. 10, 2014
It's no surprise that Apple is getting in on the landmark anniversary of Beatlesmania in the US. It's launched a Beatles channel for the Apple TV with the Beatles' initial appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show available for free streaming. It also promotes Apple's release of the Beatles' US albums, which differ greatly from the UK versions in the early years.
Other news from Monday afternoon included:
- The fallout from the abrupt end of the Flappy Bird app continues with more clones infringing on other people's logos and insane eBay auctions.
- Blockchain CEO calls Apple a "gatekeeper on innovation" after Bitcoin wallet was pulled from the App Store. Meanwhile, SecureMac announced that a Mac Trojan called OSX/CoinThief is out to steal people's Bitcoins.
EA has released a mobile version of Dungeon Keeper, but fans are not very happy. The BBC reports that the game's heavy use of in-app purchases to get anywhere is causing people to get nowhere. Among those surprised? The game's original creator.
Peter Molyneux, who designed the original 1997 Dungeon Keeper game, said he too was shocked when he saw the time it would take to dig out some sections of the map.
"I felt myself turning round saying, 'What? This is ridiculous. I just want to make a dungeon. I don't want to schedule it on my alarm clock for six days to come back for a block to be chipped,'" he told the BBC.
- There are at least two more Apple Stores coming to China, one most likely opening this year.
- Carl Icahn is so pleased with Apple's recent stock buyback that he's dropping his effort for the company to be even more aggressive with the move. Icahn wrote, in part:
Additionally, we are pleased that Tim and the board have exhibited the "opportunistic" and "aggressive" approach to share repurchases that we hoped to instill with our proposal. It is our expectation that Tim and the board continue to exhibit this behavior as fiduciaries to the shareholders since they clearly seem to agree that our company continues to be extremely undervalued, and we all share a common optimism with respect to the company's bright long term future.
- Path took its time meandering down the iOS 7 path, but an upgrade to the app with the iOS 7 redesign is finally available.
It's no surprise that Apple is getting in on the landmark anniversary of Beatlesmania in the US. It's launched a Beatles channel for the...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free