Whither the iPad 2, and other stories from Feb. 13, 2014
We rarely lead with rumors -- but it may be fare thee well, iPad 2. As the citation goes, "According to people familiar with Apple's plans," AppleInsider believes that the venerable iPad model is about to meet its maker after nearly three years -- that's more than middle-aged in tablet technology time. The number of iPad 2 units shipping has dropped, and possibly more people are turning to the Retina iPad mini, which retails for the same price as the iPad 2 (the non-Retina mini is $100 cheaper).
Other items from Thursday afternoon include:
- Greenpeace applauded the latest Supplier Responsibility Report from Apple saying, "Samsung and other consumer electronics companies should follow Apple's example and map its suppliers, so the industry can exert its collective influence to build devices that are better for people and the planet."
- Apple has added to its new hire roster, this time adding Ceracor CTO Marcelo Malini Lamego. According to Electronista, Lamego specializes in non-invasive medical monitoring technology.
- BlackBerry has added Channels and Voice support to its BBM messaging apps for iOS and Android.
- Boinx Software is teaming up with the web series Animation Chefs to offer two classes at two of New York City's Apple retail stores. These classes are geared toward families, teaching them how to use iStopMotion for iPad to make stop-motion videos. The free, hour-long classes will be held on Feb. 20 starting at 11 AM at the Apple Store Upper West Side and at 3 PM at the Apple Store Grand Central.
- TwelveSouth has released the second version of its Compass mobile iPad stand, which is a significant revamp that makes the stand lighter than the first version that came out in 2010. The stand will also allow for charging the iPad while in use and the company has tweaked the angles for better FaceTime use. We'll be reviewing the new Compass on TUAW within the next few days.
And kick back with these features:
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync