Apple ads mountaineering story to "Your Verse" campaign, and other news for Feb. 19, 2014
Apple has added another story to the "Your Verse" ad campaign. "Elevating Expedition" focuses on mountaineers Adrian Ballinger and Emily Harrington who use an iPad to help them climb and navigate some of the world's biggest mountains.
Elevating Expedition emphasizes how the iPad is there for every stage of the journey, from reaching out on social media at their base camp, to examining topography via apps, to mapping their climb via the iPad's GPS. From the campaign:
Ballinger and Harrington use iPad and the Gaia GPS app to plan, navigate, and chronicle their ascent. GPS communicates directly with satellites, allowing them to use it anywhere. And the light, thin design of the iPad makes it easy to take along.
Readers can check out other Your Verse campaigns here.
In other news:
- Apple has patented headphones that could help track biometric information of the wearer, including heart rate, temperature, and perspiration.
- Security researches have recommended users stop using Belkin's WeMo home automation products. A vulnerability in the devices uses passwords and cryptographic signing to make sure firmware updates are valid. Hackers can take advantage of this to install new firmware and commandeer the devices.
- The iPhone 5s on China Mobile has been great for Apple, as the company has increased its marketshare in the country by a full percentage point in only one quarter. The iPhone now accounts for 7% of all smartphone sales, up from 6% three months earlier. A single percentage point might not seem like a lot, but in a country of over a billion people, each percentage point gain means more than a million new customers.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV