Steve Jobs to appear on U.S. Postage Stamp in 2015 and other news from Feb 20, 2014
The Washington Post recently discovered that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs will appear on a commemorative U.S. Postage Stamp in 2015. As for what the stamp may look like, a list from the United States Postal Service's Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee reveals that a final design for the Jobs stamp hasn't yet been approved.
Although the list has been made and some work has started, Susan McGowan, the Postal Service's executive director for stamp services and corporate licensing, said the subjects "are subject to change" at any time.Other iconic historical figures getting the stamp treatment in 2014 and 2015 include Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Johnny Carson and Elvis Presley.
Interestingly enough, the comments section on the Post indicates that under traditional USPS guidelines, an individual must be dead for at least 10 years before becoming eligible to appear on a stamp. As it turns out, that rule was actually phased out in 2007.
Other news from Thursday afternoon includes:
- Flesky has released its iOS keyboard SDK, which can be integrated into third-party apps. You must have Flesky installed alongside the third-party app utilizing it in order to take advantage of it.
- Apple has expanded its two-step verification program to Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
- Satechi has released a new smart monitor stand that offers up to four additional USB 2.0 ports to use, as well as headphone and microphone ports. The stand is just $29.99, which is not a bad deal at all.
- The latest Mobile Phone Track report from the NPD Group shows that Apple still has 45% of the US smartphone market. Growth among lower income customers grew. While affluent customers still had a third of the market, that number had dropped a good 10 percentage points since 2013.
- The Hickory Record out of North Carolina reports that Apple is adding another, smaller data center to its complex that already includes a massive data farm.
- Thanks to the iPhone, China Mobile has added an impressive 14 million high-speed data subscribers in January. As Electronista reports, this is the largest leap in the company's history.
The Washington Post recently discovered that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs will appear on a commemorative U.S. Postage Stamp in 2015. As...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update
- Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates