Bling out your Mac Pro and other news from Feb. 26, 2014
Are you ready for a gold Mac Pro? According to ZDNet, Alchaemy is ready to go with its options to bling out your already expensive Mac tower. The options range from $749 for a chrome finish, $999 for black diamond plating and $1,499 for a 24-karat gold finish. Or, if you want to merely change the color of the Mac Pro, you can pick one of 15 standard colors for $349 or custom coloring for $699. Steve Sande took a look at Alchaemy a couple weeks ago.
Other news from Wednesday afternoon includes:
- The roster of those playing at the iTunes Festival at SXSW is growing, with Soundgarden among the latest to announce they'll perform.
- The U.S. House has passed a bill that allows legal unlocking of cellphones. The bill heads to the Senate, where NBC News says its fate isn't clear.
- Square is starting to expand its footprint by acquiring BookFresh, which is focused on merchant appointments. BookFresh and Square will remain separate products.
- Apple has released a new document to its iPhone in Business site that gives more insight into Touch ID and the A7 processor's Secure Enclave.
- Korea's FTC has ruled against Apple, saying that Samsung can litigate using standards-essential patents. "The KFTC ruling appears to be far more SEP holder-friendly than anything the DOJ, FTC or European Commission ever indicated in this context," FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller said, "but unlike in August, when I wondered whether South Korea was on the verge of becoming a 'FRAND rogue state,' all I can say now is that basically the Korean competition regulators have taken the worst parts of certain Western rulings, positions and almost-accepted settlement proposals on SEP injunction issues ... and added at least one absurdity of their own to the mix."
- Four days after being released, more than 25% of iOS users have upgraded their OS to iOS 7.0.6.
- Apple has released a number of upgrades to its enterprise and education deployment tools.
And kick back with these features:
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV