Reports say OS X 10.9.2 breaks AirPlay Mirroring, and other news for Feb. 28, 2014
Are you noticing any AirPlay issues on your Mac after updating to OS X 10.9.2? You might not be alone. There's a growing thread on Apple's support communities saying the OS X 10.9.2 update breaks AirPlay on a number of older model Macs. As AppleInsider reports:
According to one of the larger forum threads, titled "Airplay mirroring broke in 10.9.2," users are seeing a host of different failures. For example, one user found AirPlay Mirroring was no longer a selectable option in the AirPlay menu.
Others have been able to connect to their Apple TV, but only audio is passed through in these cases. In addition to the mirroring faults, users detail problems with AirPlay's desktop extension function...
...AppleInsider was able to reproduce a few of the described issues with a mid-2011 MacBook Air and third-generation Apple TV, which are running OS X 10.9.2 and Apple TV Software Update 6.0.2, respectively. We experienced scaling issues on both the Mac and Apple TV, low frame rates, sporadic mouse freezing and video failures.
Are you having issues with AirPlay after updating to OS X 10.9.2? Let us know in the comments.
In other news:
- The Apple online store briefly went down in the wee hours of this morning. When it came back up there was a new "Shop Accessories" section.
- A California appeals court has ruled that though drivers can't talk and text while driving, they can't be convicted of distracted driving if they are using their smartphone for another use: looking at maps.
- The Google Hangouts app has received a significant update. Now it's universal, so it's also formatted for the iPad. It also allows users to record and send video messages up to 10 seconds long, among other new features.
- Apple has published a new design-specific page to help developers design for iOS and OS X.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter