The DODOcase Endangered Species case is tasteful and strong
iPad cases are by and large a plasticky, rubbery crowd. That's fine, given that cases are first and foremost about protection, and polycarbonate does a great job of absorbing bumps and bruises. But if you're looking for something different, something special, and something classy, there's no beating DODOcase. And as far as class goes, the DODOcase Endangered Species edition stands alone.
The now classic DODOcase design is here in full force: Using masterful book binding techniques, the exterior of the case is firm and rigid, with a pleasing texture. The tablet is held in place by an form-fitting, eco-friendly bamboo chassis that gives the book its structure. An elastic strap wraps around the front cover from the back when needed to ensure a the lid remains closed when you toss it into a bag or backpack.
The aesthetics of this particular DODOcase are special. The company partnered with Ink Dwell, an environmental art design organization, to give the Endangered Species edition a gorgeous mural of a Sierra Nevada bighorn sheep. The interior of the book is also customized, featuring a topographical map of the Sierra Nevada mountain range that the sheep call home.
There's nothing complex here: The iPad is secured in the bamboo skeleton via four grips -- one in each corner. A small wood cutout on the top allows use of the lock button, and there the audio jack, charging port, and volume buttons are accessible through cutouts in the bamboo.
You can use the case in a number of different ways. You can open is like a book, which is probably what most will do, or you can fold the front cover to the back and lay it flat or perch it upright in landscape mode for watching movies, etc.
Once the case is closed, the thick book covers are the ultimate in protection, and there's really no feasible way your iPad is going to take damage unless you decide to throw it off the roof of a tall building.
It's clear from the quality of the construction that DODOcase spares no expense in its production. Everything about it screams high-end, and there's really nothing I can imagine I'd change if given the chance. It's the ultimate in protection and style, and there is no equal.
Rating: 4 out of a possible 4 stars
Your iPad needs a bit of protection, so follow the giveaway rules:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before February 24, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a DODOcase for the iPad 2/3/4, valued at US$124.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features