New Microsoft Office for Mac coming
Microsoft has confirmed that the company will release a new version of Microsoft Office for the Mac this year, according to a report published today in Macworld.
A representative for Microsoft confirmed that development work for the next version of Office for Mac is ongoing. "The team is hard at work on the next version of Office for Mac," she said in an email. "While I don't have details to share on timing, when it's available, Office 365 subscribers will automatically get the next Office for Mac at no additional cost."
This should come as welcome news for Mac users still not content or able to leave behind the juggernaut that is Microsoft Office for competing products and services from the likes of Apple and Google.
To say that a new version of Office for the Mac is a long time coming would be an understatement. Note that the last major version of Microsoft Office for the Mac, dubbed Microsoft Office 2011, was released all the way back in October 26, 2010.
So when can we expect a new Office for Mac offering to become available? At this point, a firm release date remains unclear, though there have been a few rumblings that the software may drop during the latter half of 2014.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)