Jony Ive talks design with The Sunday Times, and other news for March 17, 2014
The Sunday Times in the UK has published a lengthy five-page article in its magazine about Jony Ive, including an exclusive interview. The article delves into Ive's work practices, among other things. The article is behind a paywall, but for Apple (or design) fans, it's worth a read. Ive holds no punches when he says Samsung using Apple's designs for inspiration was "theft." The article also looks at Ive's design process, including the great lengths he goes to to source the right materials:
Ive starts a new project by imagining what a new kind of product should be and what it should do. Only once he's answered those questions does he work out what it should look like. He seeks advice in unlikely places. He worked with confectionery manufacturers to perfect the translucent jelly-bean shades of his first big hit, the original iMac. He traveled to Niigata in northern Japan to see how metalworkers there beat metal so thin, to help him create the Titanium PowerBook, the first lightweight aluminum laptop in a world of hefty black plastic slabs.
In other news:
- Apple has updated the Apple Store for iPad app with the ability to purchased gift cards ranging in value from $25 to $2000 USD.
- More revelations from a new book about Apple says Steve Jobs said Apple would never build a TV.
- Apple's iPhone is capturing 80% of the coveted "premium" smartphone market in China.
- Need 128 GB of RAM for your new Mac Pro? Transcend has you covered.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options