Apple launches 8 GB iPhone 5c and relaunches 16 GB iPad 4, and other news for March 18, 2014
As we mentioned this morning, Apple has officially launched an 8 GB version of the iPhone 5c. As of the time of this writing the 8 GB iPhone 5c still hasn't shown up in the US online store, but it is available in all European stores. In the UK store the 8 GB iPhone 5c has a price tag of £429, which is £40 cheaper than the 16 GB model. The 8 GB iPhone 5c is available in all colors.
In addition to the release of an 8 GB iPhone 5c, Apple has also taken the step of re-releasing the 16 GB iPad 4, replacing the three-year-old iPad 2 as the low-price member of the full-size iPad family. The iPad 4 is now available in all online stores, retailing for US$399 for the Wi-Fi model and $529 for the Wi-Fi+Cellular model.
The availability of both of these devices was rumored yesterday. The release of the new entry-level iPhone 5c is a sign that Apple is trying to boost sales of the device while also appealing to people who want an iPhone at a lower price point. The re-release of the iPad 4 coincides with Apple pulling the three-year-old iPad 2 from sale. As MacRumors notes:
Meanwhile, the iPad 4 has been brought back into Apple's lineup after being removed in favor of the iPad Air last October. However, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted in February that the company would shift from the iPad 2 to the iPad 4, as the latter sports Apple's A6X chip and 1GB memory compared to the former's A5 processor and 512 MB of memory.
In other news:
- Google has updated the YouTube app with support for sharing entire playlists and improved commenting features.
- Facebook has updated its app with an updated design that makes it easier to post and share on the iPad.
- The Dropbox app has also received an upgrade. New features include improved illustrations and improved SSO for Dropbox for Business customers.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration