Update your Square reader now and other news from March 27, 2014
Square updated its card reader at the end of 2013, and if you haven't signed up to get one of the new readers yet, you'll need to do so by June 1. An email to Square users says that the original reader will no longer be supported after then. Considering the new reader works better and is a free upgrade, it's worth grabbing it. You can sign up for it through your Square dashboard.
Other news from Thursday afternoon includes:
- You can get a free year of Office 365, and access to the new Microsoft Office for iPad, by bringing your iPad to a Microsoft store. It's only for the first 50 people who come in to each store, starting today and going through Sunday. However, as TUAW editor Mike Rose points out, you need to read the fine print: "To be eligible, customer must participate in the "Put My iPad to Work" social campaign." If you do participate, let us know how it goes.
- And speaking of the new Office for iPad apps, Apple told re/code that it will get its 30% cut if people sign up for Office 365 through the iPad apps.
- Apple customers have begun receiving credit owed them in ebook price-fixing case.
- Facebook Messenger updated to version 4.0, allowing for creation of groups and message forwarding.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app