Developers win the WWDC lottery and other news from April 7, 2014
A few developers have won the WWDC lottery. Developers who wanted to attend the conference in June were notified on Monday evening if they got in. They have a week from the notification to purchase their tickets. Thousands of developers signed up for the chance, and they shouted their joy (and frustration) to the Internet as the results came out.
So this year, instead of refreshing a web page, we are refreshing our mail client! #WWDC14- Jeff Tan-Ang (@jtanang) April 8, 2014
5 more minutes until #WWDC14 lottery announcement! Can't believe I'm excited for a lottery in which if you win, you still gotta pay $1500.- Sarp Erdag (@sarperdag) April 7, 2014
Other news from Monday afternoon includes:
- Apple's iOS 7 has been adopted by 87% of users, the company reported on Monday. By comparison, AppleInsider notes, the majority of Android phones still have not officially gained access to the latest version of the Android OS, KitKat.
- The latest verse to Apple's "Your Verse" iPad ad campaign takes a look at Bollywood.
- Tiny software developer SolidFX claims that Jeppesen, which specializes in aviation mapping and navigation, stole its app idea. SolidFX had signed a contract with Jeppesen to develop an "ebook reader" app to show off its navigational charts, then the company debuted its own app. It's seeking $78.6 million in damages at U.S. District Court in Denver. Jeppesen says that its agreement with SolidFX only covered modifying hardware and was never intended for the iPad.
And catch up with these features:
- New emails highlight Phil Schiller's frustration with Apple's ad agency
- SmartThings Hub: Connecting your home, phone and you
- 2011 Samsung memo: Beating Apple is our #1 priority; Apple threat is "urgent"
- Apple engineer Greg Christie talks about designing the iPhone for "normal people"
- iPhone 101: Using Photos app to view photos sorted by location
- Rumor Roundup: Unreleased Apple product 'delayed' (again)
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration