Pelican ProGear Voyager iPhone 5/5s case: Solid protection at a reasonable price
Pelican Products, Inc. today announced a new rough-and-tough case for the iPhone 5 and 5s -- the Pelican ProGear Voyager (US$50). The case will only be available at AT&T retail stores and through a special AT&T website, or you can take a chance at winning one in a TUAW giveaway.
- Dimensions: 5.3 x 2.6 x .6 inches (13.5 x 6.58 x 1.5 cm)
- Weight: 1.6 oz w/o holster, 3.1 oz with holster (45.36/87.88 grams)
- Available colors: Black, white, pink
Pelican ProGear is designed to take whatever life throws at it -- drops, dust, and potential scratches. The case has four layers of protection built in, and comes with a screen protector to keep scratches from occurring on your iPhone's touch screen. For all of the military-grade protection, though, the case looks remarkably thin.
We tested the white model, which is highlighted with gray accents around the exterior. In use, doors cover the Lightning and headphone ports, as well as the silent mode switch. The power switch and volume toggles are covered with pass-through keys, so the entire phone is nicely encased in a dust-free zone.
For those who love to carry their iPhone pride publicly, Pelican throws in a holster clip that can be adjusted for either vertical or horizontal carry.
Many rugged cases are difficult to install, but Pelican smartly designed a coin slot into one corner that makes it easy to pop the case open. Once you've installed the iPhone 5/5s, it's just a process of squeezing the edges until they snap together.
The holster can also be used as a multi-position stand for the phone. A small metal piece behind the holster clip can be pulled out to block the spring-loaded holster clip open. The stand feature works well in both portrait and landscape orientation.
It should be noted that despite looking like a waterproof case, the Pelican ProGear Voyager is not advertised as either waterproof or water resistant.
While the Pelican ProGear Voyager won't supply the level of protection that you might get from a LifeProof nuud or OtterBox Defender case, it's also priced more reasonably than either of those cases. iPhone 5s owners will need to decide just how much protection they need -- if drop, dust and scratch protection is sufficient, then the ProGear Voyager fits the requirements at a reasonable price.
Rating: 3-1/2 stars out of 4 stars possible
Be the first kid on your block to get a Pelican ProGear Voyager case for your iPhone 5 or 5s. You don't even need to go to the Apple Store to get it, either -- just enter this giveaway! Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before April 22, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing and will receive a Pelican ProGear Voyager iPhone 5/5s case valued at $50
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync