Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates
Here are some of the best free apps, app updates and new apps that have landed in the App Store recently. All app prices are USD and subject to change. Some deals may expire quickly, so grab them while you can.
Apps Now Free
myCal PRO: Calendar & Event Organizer [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $2.99] No more dots in your calendar! myCal PRO displays what you need to see, your events!
Mental Hospital II [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $1.99] Are you ready to accept the gift of madness and understand the secrets of the deep?
continue?9876543210 [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $3.99] You are a dead, failed video game character wandering through the recesses of the Random Access Memory, trying to find peace in the final moments of your existence before being deleted forever.
BoneBox™ - Skull Viewer [iPad; Now free, down from $1.99] The BoneBox™ Skull Viewer is a real-time 3D medical education tool that features exceptionally detailed anatomical skull models and unique interactive elements.
iDarkroom [iPhone; Now free, down from $0.99] iDarkroom is a FAST, INTUITIVE, POWERFUL photo processing app.
New and Notable Apps
Leo's Fortune [iOS Universal; $4.99] Leo's Fortune is a platform adventure game where you hunt down the cunning and mysterious thief that stole your gold. Beautifully hand-crafted levels bring the story of Leo to life in this epic adventure.
Bonsai Slice [iPad; $2.99] Bonsai Slice turns your iPad into a sword! Join Multus the Robot as he teaches you how to slice and dice your way through donuts, coins, televisions and more.
Soccer Rally 2 [iOS Universal; Free] Rev up your engines and get ready to experience soccer like never before!
UltraVideoConverter [OS X; $1.99] UltraVideoConverter lets you convert all videos of a chosen directory, including subdirectories, to MP4 with only one click.
Updates you don't want to miss
Udacity [iOS Universal; Free] Learn on-the-go with free technology courses from Udacity! Version 1.5 brings the following changes:
- Udacity is now available on iPhone!
- Download videos so you can access them when offline
- Translated the app into Japanese, German, Chinese, Korean, Italian, Portuguese Brazilian, Spanish and French
- Content and bug fixes
National Parks by National Geographic [iOS Universal; Free] National Geographic presents a beautiful, award-winning interactive guide to 25 of America's most visited national parks. Version 1.5 brings the following changes:
- TWO NEW PARK GUIDES: Crater Lake National Park, Oregon and Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, Alaska
- Corrected locations of Kula and Pukalani, Hawai'i in Haleakalā National Park
- Corrected location of Port Angeles, Washington in Olympic National Park
- Updated 2013 visitor numbers for each park
Food Network Magazine US [iOS Universal; Free] Get the inside scoop on your favorite Food Network stars, plus more than 100 fun recipes in each issue of Food Network Magazine. Version 3.1.1 brings the following changes:
- Share your favorite foodie finds on Facebook, Twitter or via email.
- saving and organizing your favorite images from the pages of Food Network has never been easier.
- Favoriting to-die-for-desserts or delicious weeknight dinners for reading later is now as easy as tapping the star icon from any page,.
- Preview new issues on your iPad
- Easily track your downloads' progress in the top menu.
- We've improved background downloading of issues, reading new issues has never been easier.
- And we've fixed an issue some readers were having with new covers not updating in their newsstand and libraries, as well as other minor bug fixes and performance improvements.
Runkeeper [iPhone; Free] RunKeeper is the simplest way to improve fitness, whether you're just deciding to get off the couch for a 5k, biking every day, or deep into marathon training. Version 4.5 brings the following changes:
- Create fitness goals and check the status of your Training Plans all from the same place
- Upload a photo that represents YOUR motivation to achieve your fitness goals Goal Coach
- Goal Coach helps you choose a fitness goal that works for you
- Personalized insights into your goal progress to help you stay on track no matter where you are with your training
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter