Here's the Mac's first first-person shooter from the 80s
If you've ever spent a evening racking up headshots in Call of Duty or Marathon, you should probably pour one out in respect for MazeWars. Originally released in 1974 MazeWars is widely considered one of the original first-person shooters in history. Players moved a selected avatar through a maze looking for their opponent. When you found your opponent you'd shoot a missile at them until they died. Deus Ex this wasn't.
By the time the game hit the Apple Macintosh in 1987 the title had made a number of major improvements. Released as MazeWars+ the Mac version included fully 3d levels that, although crude by today's standards, are still incredibly impressive. Players could play with friends online over an AppleTalk network. For a period of time the title was included with the purchase of a brand new Macintosh. Enjoy a few minutes of game play below, it's a delightful reminder of how far Mac gaming has come.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app