Just in time for his film return, Godzilla has an iOS game
Godzilla is back in theaters this weekend and we have a new iOS game to celebrate his fiery return. Godzilla - Smash3 (free with some in-app purchases) follows the film plot as the big G pursues the MUTO monsters with a combination of nice 3D action and puzzles. You'll have to get Godzilla through 80 levels in various cities around the globe. If you have enough success, you'll get to activate Godzilla's atomic breath.
I gave the game a try and found the 3D rendering of Godzilla quite good, as is the rendering of his various foes. The game has a lot of variety, and I like the addition of puzzles to the action. The sound is effective, particularly nice on headphones. Getting all the way through the game will be a challenge.
Godzilla has a long history, with the first film coming out in Japan in 1954. A highly edited American version starring then-unknown Raymond Burr (Perry Mason, Ironside) followed. Godzilla has had many incarnations, some in kiddie movies and some in more serious films such as the 1998 version with Matthew Broderick. Many Godzilla fans hated that one, but this latest version in 3D and Dolby Atmos sound is getting pretty solid reviews on MetaCritic and Rotten Tomatoes.
Godzilla - Smash3 requires iOS 6 or later. It is universal and runs fine on iPads. It's optimized for the iPhone 5 and is an engaging game that's fun to play.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options