Podcasts app gets Siri support and improved episode browsing
Apple's native Podcasts app has had a rocky road with users since the feature was separated from the Music app. Still, Apple has been working to improve the app and make it easier to use. The latest update adds Siri integration, support for the new CarPlay in-vehicle control systems, and a number of other minor improvements.
With Siri support, you can now ask Apple's intelligent assistant to play podcasts by saying "play podcasts." If you'd like to bring up a specific podcast simply ask for it by name; for example, "play WTF with Marc Maron." This feature should come in handy for podcast-enthusiast commuters living in states that have passed hands-free driving laws.
The app's episode browsing has also gotten an upgrade. If you have a large number of podcasts on your device you'll appreciate the new Unplayed tab for episodes. Using the Feed tab, you can view which episodes of your podcasts are available for stream or download. A new Favorites feature has also been added to make it easier to save episodes. Finally, the ability to have episodes automatically deleted once you've listened to them has been added to the settings.
You can find Podcasts 2.1 for free right now in the iTunes Store.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service