Samsonite buys Speck for $85 million
It must be acquisitions week. Longtime luggage manufacturer Samsonite has acquired Speck for a cool US$85 mil. Speck makes protective cases for a variety of portable devices, including iPhone, iPad, MacBook and several Android devices. Samsonite Americas president Tom Korbas explained the move:
"The acquisition offers Samsonite the opportunity to participate in the large and growing smartphone-case market, which in the U.S. alone is estimated to be worth $2.3 billion, as well as in the tablet-case market, where Speck is also a leader."
It seems like a complimentary acquisition for a company that's been protecting travelers' belongings for years. Good luck to all involved.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync