Samsonite buys Speck for $85 million
It must be acquisitions week. Longtime luggage manufacturer Samsonite has acquired Speck for a cool US$85 mil. Speck makes protective cases for a variety of portable devices, including iPhone, iPad, MacBook and several Android devices. Samsonite Americas president Tom Korbas explained the move:
"The acquisition offers Samsonite the opportunity to participate in the large and growing smartphone-case market, which in the U.S. alone is estimated to be worth $2.3 billion, as well as in the tablet-case market, where Speck is also a leader."
It seems like a complimentary acquisition for a company that's been protecting travelers' belongings for years. Good luck to all involved.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter