D-Day Hour by Hour for iPad
With the 70th Anniversary of D-Day approaching on June 6, we are seeing some interesting apps that commemorate Western Europe's liberation from Nazi troops.
A case in point is D-Day Hour by Hour, a US$4.99 app that lets you explore maps, articles, audio interviews and newsreel videos. The iPad app features a timeline at the bottom, and as you slide it you will see positions of allied and Nazi troops change, and get featured content that also covers the run-up to the D-Day invasion and historical facts about the aftermath.
The app is easy to use, and really doesn't require any instructions. The maps are very attractive, and the overview of the D-Day locale makes the events of that historic day come into sharp focus. I appreciate the fact that the content is balanced, with quite a bit about what was going on behind the German lines as well as on the Allied side.
It is hard to fault this well-executed app. There is plenty of in-depth material here, and time spent studying the text and media would be welcome for any history buff.
D-Day Hour by Hour is an iPad-only app. It requires iOS 7 or later, and it's a 174 MB download due to the included media files.
D-Day Hour by Hour is very worthwhile and I recommend it for students of one of the Worlds great battles.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)