Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates
Here are some of the best free apps, app updates and new apps that have landed in the App Store recently. All app prices are USD and subject to change. Some deals may expire quickly, so grab them while you can.
Apps Now Free
Easy FTP Pro [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $3.99] Easy FTP is an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and SFTP client for iPhone/iPod Touch.
Robot Race [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $0.99] Race across science-fiction landscapes of the future as the last hope for humanity: The Robots!
Remote Mouse [iPhone; Now free, down from $1.99] Remote Mouse turns your iPhone, iPad or iPod into a wireless user-friendly remote control for your Mac / PC.
Republique [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $4.99] Intense, thrilling, and topical, RÉPUBLIQUE is a stealth-action game that explores the perils of government surveillance in the Internet Age.
Animated 3D Origami [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $2.99] The "How to Make Origami" app is simple and easy to use. Follow the step-by-step instructions and watch the 3D animation carefully. And don't worry, you'd have to try really hard to get confused.
New and Notable Apps
Kiwaka [iOS Universal; $2.99] Learning can be different. Kiwaka is a game where you will learn about stars and constellations in an entertaining way. Play it in the dark for a more delightful visual experience.
Wutzwhat [iPhone; Free] Living in a major city can be overwhelming. Wutzwhat simplifies things by serving as a one stop shop for 'best of' food, shopping, nightlife, service, hotel and event experiences.
Here Be Monsters [iPad; Free] The Ministry of Monsters needs new recruits! Ever since the mysterious Starium meteorites began falling from the sky, monsters all over the world have been running amok and it's up to you to get them back under control.
Pocket Harvest [iOS Universal; $4.99] Leave the rat race behind and reap the joys of life on your very own farm in Pocket Harvest!
Rival Knights [iOS Universal; Free] Feel the adrenaline rush of medieval jousting! Crush your rivals and ride your way to glory in the most intuitive, action-packed and visually stunning knight combat game on touch screens!
Updates you don't want to miss
Unread [iPhone; $4.99] Rediscover the joy of reading your favorite writers with Unread, an RSS reader for iPhone. Version 1.3 brings the following changes:
- Vastly improved scroll performance, especially on older devices.
- You can now tug down the refresh control extra far to see the most recent refresh date.
- Long press on a folder to open it as a list of articles or subscriptions (the opposite of your default preference).
- Long press on Unread, All Articles, or Starred to show a list of subscriptions instead of a list of articles.
- Shake to clear read items. If you're viewing a list of unread articles, shaking the device will clear the read items from the list. Saves you from having to go out and back into the list.
- Tapping the footer bar scrolls to the bottom of the current screen.
- Web view toolbars now change to light or dark mode based on the background color of the current page.
- Added a Release Notes screen.
Runtastic [iPhone; $4.99] The Runtastic PRO app tracks sports and fitness activities, utilizing GPS technology to help you build healthy lifestyle habits and reach exercise goals! Version 5.1 brings the following changes:
- Take the new Runtastic out for a run and enjoy improved app design and navigation, optimized features & new functionality.
- Challenge a Run: We've redesigned the 'Ghost Run' feature for an even better user experience! Compete against yourself by selecting & challenging past activity results.
- New Story Runs: Get drawn into different worlds & experience the future of running with our new Adventure & Weight Loss (Motivation) Story Runs!
Sleep Cycle alarm clock [iPhone; $0.99] An intelligent alarm clock that analyzes your sleep and wakes you in the lightest sleep phase – the natural way to wake up feeling rested and relaxed. Version 4.5 brings the following changes:
- Improved algorithm for detecting wake-ups
- Backup alarm in case you are almost out of battery
- Several performance improvements
- Minor bugs and interface fixes
- Philips HUE light bulb support - simulate a natural sunrise to give you an even softer wake-up
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app