Dev Interview: Oleksandr Kosovan, MacPaw
TUAW and MacTech are once again teaming up to interview developers surrounding Apple's announcements at WWDC. Hear what they have to say.
We'd like to welcome our guest, Oleksandr Kosovan, CEO at MacPaw. MacPaw develops products for Mac, iOS, and Oleksandr took some time to tell us about WWDC and how it impacts the company.
What were you most excited about hearing in Apple's recent announcements?
The biggest things we're excited about are Home Kit and iBeacon. Even though they're not directly related to our business, they open a whole new layer of possibilities for smart home devices.
But there are couple of more things which we found pretty exciting:
- iCloud drive -- we hope iCloud finally will work as it was supposed to and that our users will benefit from it.
- Touch ID APIs -- finally we have it!
What does your company do?
We're a fresh, independent software development company located in Kyiv, Ukraine. We specialize in software development using the latest Mac OS X technologies. Our objective is, and always will be, to release innovative software and information technology solutions. Our main concern is our customers' needs and we always do our best to listen to them.
We have several standout software solutions:
- CleanMyMac 2 (our main software) is an all-in-one Mac cleaner that removes apps, data, and gigabytes of unnecessary junk. It's a powerful cleaning app that's beautifully designed to make cleaning and organizing your Mac incredibly simple.
- Hider 2 (our newest release) is an app that lets you hide, encrypt, and password protect private data on your Mac. It has custom grouping, global shortcut keys, and an array of other organizational features that make keeping track of your hidden data a piece of cake.
- Gemini: The Duplicate Finder is an easy-to-use, duplicate-finding utility for Mac. It finds duplicate files, folders, photos, archives, and more. And it has an Auto-Select feature which means less time spent on removing duplicates, and more time spent without them.
- Listen (for iPhone) is a music player designed to help you focus on things besides the music player. It runs via gestures, not buttons, which helps you stay focused on the task at hand without having to look for the controls. It's the ultimate minimalist music player.
- DevMate is a development and distribution assistance platform for Mac Developers. It gives developers a jump start on tracking, analytics, and marketing their applications.
What is the coolest thing you can tell us about what you do?
CleanMyMac 2 is the safest and most powerful system cleaning and maintenance utility. It has a special feature called the Safety Database, which is a list of items, rules, and exceptions that CleanMyMac refers to in order to correctly select and clean out the junk on your Mac. It currently has over 1,500 operational rules and exceptions to prevent even the smallest of mishaps when cleaning your Mac.
Did Apple make any announcements that will impact your direction?
Actually, they did. The new iTunes Connect provides similar possibilities to what our DevMate platform does. However, it gives only basic statistics and analytics data, so we believe iTunes Connect will help developers choose more complex solutions as they grow.
The new Yosemite OS X interface will definitely impact on the way our apps look, so we've already started adjusting the interface for our next app release.
What's coming from you and your team?
We plan to release a couple of major updates for our existing Mac apps, as well as an open beta version of DevMate for a wider audience.
Anything more you can tell us?
Well, unfortunately we didn't see any new devices at the WWDC. However, the good thing about this is that Apple is turning the WWDC into a developers conference; it's providing developers with a bunch of new tools and possibilities for growth.
Find out more
For more information on MacPaw, see www.macpaw.com
This developer interview was put together by the staff of TUAW and MacTech Magazine about how Apple's new technologies will impact them and you, their customers. What to know more about MacTech? See the web site, or check out one of the many live events MacTech puts on each. If you're a developer, consultant, or IT Pro, come join TUAW and media throughout the industry at MacTech Conference 2014.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration