TYLT Energi 2K Travel Charger: Hands-on review and giveaway
Let's hear it for multi-function accessories! In this case, the TYLT Energi 2K Travel Charger (US$39.99) is not only a small travel charger with folding AC prongs, but it's also 2200 mAh battery pack. In my book, that makes it as useful as Shimmer Floor Wax! We're going to take a look at this multi-functional accessory here in a moment, and then you have a chance to get your hands on one before all of the Kickstarter supporters.
- Dimensions: 2.87 x 2.09 x .91 inches (7.3 x 5.3 x 2.3 cm)
- Weight: 3.5 ounces (99.22 gms)
- Battery capacity: 2200 mAh
- Colors: green, red, blue, black
- Input: AC 100 - 240V, 50/60 Hz
There's not too much you can do with a power brick, but I like the clean lines of the TYLT Energi 2K. It has rounded corners, the TYLT logo is embossed into the plastic so it's relatively unobtrusive, and there's just one button on the entire thing -- in the front. That button toggles a built-in status LED that goes between green (100 - 80% charged), amber (80 - 30% charged), red (less than 30% charged), or blinking red (too drained to charge your device). The AC prongs stick up just enough over the top of the Energi 2K to make it easy to flip them out without even looking at the device.
I had an opportunity to review TYLT's Energi battery packs a few months ago, and was very impressed with them. The Energi 2K Travel Charger is no exception, as it pushes out power to your iPhone at a steady 5V at 1A, and it has more than enough capacity to totally recharge an iPhone 5s.
As a charger, it's about four times larger than Apple's diminutive AC adapter. But of course, Apple's tiny power cube doesn't include a battery pack. TYLT does not include a USB to Lightning charging cable, so you'll have to supply your own. In a way, that's a good thing since you'll be able to use the Energi 2K with older iPhones and iPads, or even to lend a charge to your Android-toting friends.
TYLT's Energi 2K does what it's supposed to do -- give you a charge both when you're near a wall socket and when you're away from one. The design is stark, but functional, and I like the ability to find and extend the prongs without even looking at the Energi 2K. TYLT has given this dual-purpose accessory a value price as well, which gives it an extra boost in the rating.
Rating: 3-1/2 stars out of 4 stars possible
Just in time for your summer getaways, TUAW and TYLT are giving away an Energi 2K Travel Charger. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before June 24, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing and will receive a TYLT Energi 2K Travel Charger valued at $39.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter