Readmill is closing its doors on July 1, 2014
Yet another beloved eReader app is closing its doors thanks to the sad reality of being financially unsustainable. This time it's Readmill, the open reading platform for iOS and Android that sought to give users an alternative to proprietary stores. With beautiful typography and a useful night reading mode, it was the go-to eReader for many smartphone users. The company announced its decision in a recent blog post:
...Readmill's story ends here. Many challenges in the world of ebooks remain unsolved, and we failed to create a sustainable platform for reading. For this, we're deeply sorry. We considered every option before making the difficult decision to end the product that brought us together.
Note that the team will join Dropbox, though details on what their roles will be are not available.
Users have until July 1, 2014 to export their data from the app. After that it will no longer be available. You can find out more about exporting your books, followers, readings, reviews, and highlights to safe keeping right here. In the meantime maybe try to read one last book on Readmill. Just for old time's sake.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration