iFixit opens up the new 16 GB iPod touch
Apple quietly released a new $199 16 GB iPod touch this week with no fanfare. Naturally, the folks over at iFixIt have already acquired one and ripped it apart. So what's new inside the iPod touch's "latest" model? There are only two new additions.
- The 5th gen iPod Touch now has the same 5-megapixel iSight camera found in the 32 and 64 GB models.
- Now the 16 GB model comes with a wrist-strap peg, although users will have to buy their own wrist strap.
The 16 GB iPod Touch still has plenty of features to sway you into buying one for your kids who aren't ready for a smartphone but could use a mini computer/media player. It comes with 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, with a 4-inch widescreen Retina display. The iSight camera is capable of taking 5 megapixel photographs and shooting 1080p HD video.
Head over to iFixIt to check out their complete photographic rundown of the new 16 GB iPod Touch's guts, including a look at at what chips it's packing and how easy it is to repair.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature