New iOS emoji might include a Middle Finger and a "Man In Business Suit Levitating"
The Unicode Standard that governs the types of emoji that appear on mobile messaging platforms was recently updated with a plethora of new options.
As initially relayed by The Verge, it's now up to Apple to pick which of the new 250 emoji icons it'd like to toss into the iOS emoji alphabet. Some of the new items Apple can now choose from include a smattering of intriguing possibilities, including but not limited to the following:
- Man In Business Suit Levitating
- Derelict House Building
- Sleuth Or Spy
- Black Skull And Crossbones
- Reversed Hand With Middle Finger Extended
Ah, yes. Apple now has the option of tossing a middle finger into the emoji mix. How fun an addition would that be?
GetEmoji.com recently provided a mockup of what that might look like.
Below is a partial snapshot of what some of the baseline icons look like as put together by the Unicode Consortium. Keep in mind, though, that the final icon design is entirely up to Apple. As we've prevoiusly highlighted, the same emoji can look entirely different across varying platforms. Still, these figures help provide an idea of what Apple might decide to implement.
In this shot below, we can see the middle finger icon, the spy, and the bizarrely fun levitating business man.
So what say you TUAW readers? Do you think Apple will implement the middle finger emoji or might that be a bit too risqué? Before you answer, consider this: who would have ever guessed that Apple would make a joke about "OS X weed" at WWDC?
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter