Flickr Find: Lego minifigs recreate "Hand of God" moment from 1986 World Cup soccer quarter finals
Flickr member Chris of Oblong Pictures used Lego Minifigs, some clever backdrops and sometimes an iPhone to recreate the first goal in the quarter-final soccer match between Argentina and England in the 1986 FIFA World Cup. Argentina won the match with two of the most memorable goals in soccer history, both of which were scored by Diego Maradona.
The "Hand of God" goal happened when England midfielder Steve Hodge mistakenly kicked the soccer ball back into the penalty area towards his own goal. Goalkeeper Peter Shilton raced to grab the ball, but Argentina's Maradona got there first and used his hand to propel the ball into the goal. The referee didn't see the infringement and allowed the goal to stand. After this stunning win, Argentina went on to win the World Cup that year.
You can see the full set of photos in the fill "Hand of God" album.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)