Flickr Find: Lego minifigs recreate "Hand of God" moment from 1986 World Cup soccer quarter finals
Flickr member Chris of Oblong Pictures used Lego Minifigs, some clever backdrops and sometimes an iPhone to recreate the first goal in the quarter-final soccer match between Argentina and England in the 1986 FIFA World Cup. Argentina won the match with two of the most memorable goals in soccer history, both of which were scored by Diego Maradona.
The "Hand of God" goal happened when England midfielder Steve Hodge mistakenly kicked the soccer ball back into the penalty area towards his own goal. Goalkeeper Peter Shilton raced to grab the ball, but Argentina's Maradona got there first and used his hand to propel the ball into the goal. The referee didn't see the infringement and allowed the goal to stand. After this stunning win, Argentina went on to win the World Cup that year.
You can see the full set of photos in the fill "Hand of God" album.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options