New Apple Store graphics and other news highlights
It's the first day of July and the second half of 2014, and the beginning of Apple's fourth fiscal quarter of the year. While we'll need to wait a few weeks (see the third item below for details!) to hear how the past three months fared in the world of Apple, there's still plenty of news about our favorite fruit company:
- New graphics at Apple Stores. Those beautiful, big wall graphics at Apple Stores used to highlight the company's products against a stark white background. Now the images are beginning to show people using devices like the iPhone 5s and iPad. The graphics are more colorful, but darker, and somewhat mirror Apple's recent advertising campaigns including the "Your Verse" iPad ads and the new "Parenthood" ad.
- AppleCare+ purchase window extended. The standard (without accidental damage coverage) AppleCare plan is being discontinued today in the US, Canada and Japan. Previously, AppleCare+ had to be purchased within 30 days of buying an iPhone or iPad. Beginning today, that purchase window is extended to 60 days so that customers can decide whether or not they need the extended support provided by the plan.
- Apple's Q3 2014 Earnings Call is scheduled for July 22, 2014 at 5 PM ET. As usual, TUAW will host a liveblog of the event covering the highlights and the humorous attempts by Wall Street analysts to get Apple execs to spill the beans on new products.
- The new upgraded, lower-priced 16GB iPod touch rolls out around the world. Remember the new iPod touch that debuted last week? It's now available in the UK, Germany, Italy and other countries worldwide. The new device includes a 5-megapixel iSight camera and new color choices for US$199.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration